September 22, 2012

Comfort Food


There is nothing more comforting than tater tot casserole. Need a warm belly? Make this.

TATER TOT CASSEROLE

Serves 6


Ingredients:
A bag of Ore-Ida Crispy Crowns/Tots
1 can of cream of something soup
1 pound of ground beef
Lawry's or some seasoning salt
1 soup can of liquid (sometimes I use water sometimes milk)
1 can of corn or 1/2 bag of frozen corn
2 cups shredded cheese
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
Directions:
1. Prepare the crispy crowns or tater tots by following the instructions on the bag. I usually sprinkle them with a bit of seasoning before I bake them. You could also use the Alexia Sweet Potato Puffs in this recipe if you are not a fan of Ore-Ida, I'd just use 2 bags because I think they are smaller. Once the crowns/tots/puffs are cooked, set them aside and reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees.
2. In a large skillet, over medium heat lightly brown the meat and corn, 5-10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. In a 13"X9" pan, place 1/2 of the crispy crowns in the pan. Then add the meat and corn, spreading as even as possible. Then sprinkle with a cup of the shredded cheese. Then put the rest of the crispy crowns on top.
4. Mix the can of soup and liquid of your choice. Pour over the layers in the pan. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top and place it in the oven
5. Bake for 15-20 minutes until bubbles appear at the sides from the liquid and the cheese on top is browning. Serve.

This is good with ketchup but I like it plain too. I like this for left overs the next day. In this recipe I have used ground turkey, ground up morning star meal starters, and different frozen vegetable mixes. My childhood memory is with beef and corn but I suggest you experiment and see what you like!

No comments:

Post a Comment