September 14, 2012

Warm you up inside...

I have had the good fortune of being able to bake a lot lately (thanks Ken and Paula). Alan's Grandmother Roma is turning 90 on Sunday so I get to make cakes, lots of cakes! Pictures after the party. ;)

With the temperature taking a slight dip (slight), I thought I'd finally post a good soup recipe. The soup is a really easy one, tastes good too. I always think it warms up my insides and seems comforting. Crusty bread is a nice companion to this soup.


KALE AND SAUSAGE SOUP

Serves 4 as a meal, 6 as a starter


Ingredients:
A couple bunches of kale, cleaned, torn into bits
10-12 small red potatoes, sliced thin
1 pound of Italian Sausage
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
8 cups of liquid (usually 4 cups chicken broth and some milk, cream, and/or half-and-half to make up the rest)
Tablespoon (or two) fresh or dried oregano
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
Directions:
1. In your soup pot, boil the sliced potatoes until just fork tender. Drain and set aside.
2. In the same pot, cook the sausage. I haven't had much fat in my pan but if you do have fat, soak it up with a paper towel or drain it off.
3. Add the red pepper flakes, oregano and the liquid. Simmer all this for about 20 minutes. Adjust the salt and pepper as needed.
4. Add the sliced potatoes and kale. Simmer an additional 10-15 minutes, then serve.


1 comment:

  1. Mmm! This soup sounds and looks delicious! I can't wait for your cakes tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete